Media Post

Share

Media Post

 •  December 12

Healthcare providers, the holders of some of the most sensitive possible data on consumers, rank email as their worst cyber security threat, according to a study from Mimecast Ltd., conducted by HIMSS Analytics. Of 76 IT professionals surveyed, 78% say their employers have suffered an email-related attack in the last 12 months -- some more than a...

Media Post

 •  December 7

Cyberattacks have grown in “scale, complexity and malice,” thanks to the group of malefactors called the New Mafia, according to a study by Malwarebytes. Ransomeware is the tool of choice, says the study titled “The New Mafia: Gangs and Vigilantes — A Guide to Cybercrime for CEOS.” This form of cyber crime increased by 289% in 2016, and by 1,988.6%...

Media Post

 •  December 4

TIO Networks, a Canadian subsidiary of PayPal, was hit with a data breach that may have exposed personal information from over one million consumers. In announcing the news late Friday, PayPal said its systems are separate from those of TIO and that its own data was not compromised. PayPal acquired the publicly traded payment processor last...

Media Post

 •  December 4

Roman Valeryevich Seleznev was sentenced on Friday to 14 years in prison for his role in a $50 million cyber fraud ring and a $9 million bank-hacking scheme. The purported Russian cyber-criminal, aka Track2, Bulba and Ncux, pleaded guilty to one count of participating in a rackeetering enterprise and one count of conspiracy to commit bank fraud,...

Media Post

 •  November 29

In an era of rising cyber crime, one email hacker was brought to justice on Tuesday when Karim Baratov pleaded guilty to nine counts of computer fraud and identity theft in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Baratov will be sentenced next February 20. A Canadian citizen, he is being held without bail in California,...

Media Post

 •  November 24

Ride-hailing service Uber is facing new investigations by the government, as well as lawsuits by consumers, following revelations about a 2016 data breach that affected 57 million people. The company concealed the breach for one year, going so far as to pay hackers $100,000 to destroy the data, Bloomberg reports. Data that was taken includes names,...

Media Post

 •  November 8

Many otherwise smart consumers will fall for email phishing scams this Black Friday and Cyber Monday. And the most victimized brands will be Amazon, Walmart and Target, judging by a new study by DomainTools. Most consumers are aware of the phishing threat, but some have clicked through to a scam email anyway, the study reports. The impact could be...

Media Post

 •  November 2

Despite blaring headlines about cyber attacks, many companies are unprepared to cope with one, according to “The Global State Of Security Survey,” a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC). Of 9,500 executives surveyed in 122 countries, 44% say their firms have failed to create an overall security strategy. In addition, 54% lack an incident-response...

Media Post

 •  October 25

Data protection systems were a sieve in the first half of this year, according to a study by Gemalto, a digital security firm based in Europe. Gemalto’s Breach Level Index shows there were 918 data breaches during this period, resulting in 1.9 billion data records being exposed — a “staggering” 164% increase over the last six months of 2016. This...

Media Post

 •  October 18

It’s getting tiresome reading reports about how few firms are ready for the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). But here’s one more. A study by Marsh shows that only 8% of firms are now in full compliance with the regulation that takes effect next May. That doesn’t leave much time for the other 92%. And 23% of those subject to the GDPR...